Will my insurance policy cover damage to my roof?

Your home's roof serves as a shield against the elements, protecting you and your loved ones from rain, wind, and – even in the UK - the sun.  However, even the most well-maintained roofs can experience unexpected leaks and damage over time. But does home insurance cover roof leaks and repairs?  Well, yes, home insurance can cover roof leaks and repairs, but there are things to consider. 

What you need to be aware of

Standard policies typically provide coverage for sudden and accidental damage, such as heavy winds, storms or fallen trees and at, Uinsure, we guarantee all repairs for a year.

While home insurance can cover sudden roof damage, it’s crucial to note that routine maintenance and wear and tear are generally not covered. Insurance companies expect homeowners to take reasonable steps to keep their property in good condition. If a leak occurs due to neglect or poor maintenance, the cost of repairs may fall outside the scope of coverage.

What you should do if you notice damage

If you notice a roof leak, it’s important to act quickly. Document the damage with photos and descriptions and report it to your insurance provider as soon as possible. 

When you file a claim for roof damage, an insurance adjuster will assess the situation to determine the cause and extent of the damage. If it’s determined that the damage resulted from a covered event and not from neglect, you’ll be able to make a successful claim.

Carefully review your home insurance policy to understand the terms, conditions, and coverage limits related to roof damage. If you’re uncertain about any aspect, reach out to your insurance provider for clarification.

You’re about to go to the dedicated section of our site for advisers.

If you’re a customer, you’re already in the right place.



Please call us on

Our lines are open Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm

Edit Template

BTL/Landlords Insurance Claims

For Landlords Insurance claims please call us on

Alternatively, please complete the Claims form above and a member of the team will be in touch shortly.

BTL/Landlords Home Emergency Claims

For Landlords Emergency claims please call

BTL/Landlords Legal Protection & Rent Guarantee Claims

For Landlords Protection and Rent Guarantee claims please call

Edit Template

Home Insurance Claims

For Ageas, AXA, LV, RSA, UK General or Zurich claims please call us on

For Covéa claims please call us on

For Midas claims please call us on

Alternatively, please complete the Claims form above and a member of the team will be in touch shortly.

Home Emergency Claims

For Home Emergency claims please call us on

Family Legal Protection Claims

For Family Legal Protection claims please call us on

Edit Template

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Learn More